Steyn: Cuisines from My Stepfather

A couple of days ago, Obama-campaign top dog David Axelrod threw in the towel on the dog war. “I thought it was a little absurd to talk about what the president had done as a ten-year-old boy,” he sniffed to MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell, which is as near as the suddenly sheepish attack dog will ever get to conceding that Barack Obama is the first dog-eating president in the history of the republic. For those coming late to the feud,the Democrats started it, assiduously promoting accounts of a 1983 Romney vacation to Canada in which the family pooch Seamus rode on the roof of the car. Axelrod and the boys thought they could have some sport with this, and their poodles in the media eagerly played along. The New York Times columnist Gail Collins alone has referred to it dozens of times.

And then Jim Treacher, the sharp-eyed wag of the Daily Caller, uncovered this passage from Chapter Two of Obama’s bestselling but apparently largely unread memoir Dreamsfrom My Father, in which the author recalls childhood meals with his stepfather Lolo Soetoro:

[More]

This entry was posted in Featured and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Steyn: Cuisines from My Stepfather

1. fernstalbert says:

The brilliant Mark Steyn – writes visual sarcasm and derision with style. Just Fabulous Darling, Fabulous. lol Cheers.

• Jack says:

Sometimes Mark makes me cringe with his comments but in his column today he was on about dogs and since the President started it (video) I guess it’s fair comment.

Not to be outdone by “The One” comedian Jimmy Kimmel came right back at him (video).

There’s nothing left to object to but I have a very strong feeling this upcoming election is going to be all about dogs and nothing else.

“More’s the pity.”

And “Oh dear”. This is going to be brutal as we read all the latest dog “recipes”.

“Man’s best friend” and all that.

2. beentheredonethat says:

Speaking of dogs……it’s all over the place now. Evidently everyone knows.

• stageleft says:

Why not beentheredonethat…. Hitler references seem to be popular within a certain political segment these days ;-)

• beentheredonethat says:

Hey…you’re supposed to come back from a vacation de-stressed and able to recognize a straight out funny spoof for what it is……no politics with this, sl.

• stageleft says:

I am relaxed and destressed beentheredone that (didn’t ya notice the ;-) ‘y) , I had a great time — well, except at some mall called Metrotown or something… waaaaay to many people all in one spot for my liking — the weather was great, the scenery was wonderful, and the smoked sea lion was tasty.

I’ll probably go back even.

That said, after Harper and members of his cabinet stood up in the house and mated the CCF and the NDP with Hitler the other day you really should have known that someone was gonna say something if you brought the man up.

• Cy says:

Well I’m less stressed now – first holiday in 3 years where the server didn’t go down.

Comments are closed.